[Wittrs] Re: Following a Rule

  • From: "iro3isdx" <xznwrjnk-evca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 05:39:05 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Rob de Villiers <wittrs@...> wrote:

> What more do you need by way of an explanation
> of computation (as done by computers) than what you already
> have courtesy of the the theory of Turing Machines, General
> Recursive Functions etc., and the mechanics of solid state
> devices, etc... ??

That's sufficient, in my opinion.  Josh apparently disagrees.

The problem arises because some people like to say strange things  such
as "the brain is computing".  And then other people, quite  reasonably,
ask what it means to say "the brain is computing".  In my  opinion, it
doesn't mean anything.  To say "the brain is computing"  tells us no
more than to say "the brain is playing tiddlywinks" or  "the brain is
playing trivial pursuit".

Regards,
Neil

WEB VIEW: http://tinyurl.com/ku7ga4