[wisb] Re: birds on radar this evening?

  • From: "Cynthia Bridge" <cynthiabridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <harrierhawk1@xxxxxxxxx>, <woodcreeper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 08:00:55 -0500

From some Racine area birders on a facebook discussion thread about
yesterday's radar:

"Nothing special was going on. I think they predicted a fall out along the
frontal line, but maybe it didn't move far enough east...?"

"I respectfully disagree with the "fallout". There were fewer birds today
than any other day this week. I expect what the map is showing are birds
leaving, rather than coming....I'm just stating that the prediction was
wrong.....No warning of a fallout on Tuesday morning but there was a huge
one. Today we were alerted to a possible fallout and there wasn't one. There
just seems to be a substantial gap between the way they are reading the
radars and what is really happening. Could it be bat migration? Insect
migration? Ground fog?"

Perhaps the Sheboygan birders may have a different perspective....they had
Laughing Gull yesterday and I recall Carl Schroeder indicating the gull
numbers were impressive in Sheboygan.

Cynthia Bridge
Fort Atkinson, Jefferson Co.