[wisb] Re: RFI:Finch ID

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Tom Prestby <jjprestby@xxxxxxx>, "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 20:26:35 -0600

Tom and all,
With all due respect, not even the House Finches of southern Arizona have that
much red. House Finch will always display a white belly. The red on this bird
(or rather, deep crimson) extends all the way back and through the flanks,
something no House Finch would display.  Bill size in proportion to the rest of
the bird is far more Purple Finch-like than House Finch. Also, the brownish
stripe through the eye, which creates the distinctive facial pattern, is
indicative of Purple Finch.  As you mention, Purple Finch is typically chunkier
than House Finch. Something I'm seeing quite evident in the photos rather than
the more streamlined shape. Most Purple Finches have some purplish wash through
the wings, but not all. This is a pigment distribution that isn't displayed on
some birds. Also, if you look at the nape and the upper back, that whole area
is a deep purplish color. While this can show on House Finch, it is much more
common on Purple Finch.
Another thing to note is how evenly the coloring is spread throughout the
chest, underparts, head, back, etc.  House Finch generally has a focused area
of color that is brighter than the rest where Purple Finch is typically much
more even in its color distribution.

Sorry, but unless more photos are produced that can clearly support either
identification, I'm going to have to stick with Purple Finch on this one. This
is a bird I get at my feeders all winter every winter. They're pretty easy to
pick out among the few House Finches.

--Chris W, Richland County