[wisb] Re: RFI:Finch ID

  • From: korducki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wsrohde@xxxxxxxxxxxx, wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 13:24:04 +0000

Steve Lubahn and Tom Prestby are both on the records committee as am I for what
it's worth. I also think it's a House Finch (HOFI). Steve's photolink shows the
key points for Purple Finch (PUFI) that are lacking in the Bong bird.  Several
have been mentioned but here are some key ones: straight culmen, heavier bill,
peaked crown. The color on a PUFI looks like raspberry sauce or jelly rather
than the cardinal red of a HOFI. This raspberry color is much more extensive on
the birds and extends well onto the back and into the wings. The Bong bird has
brown wings. Look at the raspberry wings on Steve's link. I think it was
Peterson's guide that described a male PUFI as looking like it was dipped in
raspberry jelly. The Bong HOFI is more extensively red than most but the color
shade and body features all fit. The House Finches I see on frequent trips to
the Texas Hill Country are larger and more extensively red than Midwest birds
so there is some intraspecific variation.
Mark Korducki,
New Berlin

From: "Wayne & Susie" <wsrohde@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: wisbirdn-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 22:29:45
To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Re: RFI:Finch ID

Anyone from the WSO Records Committee care to weigh in on this discussion???

Wayne Rohde
Walworth, WI