[wisb] Re: Milwaukee Lakefront

  • From: Jesse Ellis <calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 19:01:04 -0600

Hey all-
Anya Illes and I also hit the lake in Milwaukee today. We first tried south
of the CG Impoundment and around South Shore. Best bird from South Shore
was a White-winged Scotor bombing north. We checked a few points south, but
the lake mostly held expected ducks and gulls. Randomly we stopped at the
north end of Grant Park, and were rewarded by a quick visit in a spruce by
a White-winged Crossbill, my first for Wisconsin, despite their invasion
this year. McKinley Marina had six species of gulls, but viewing was
challenging. All the birds were facing into the sun and fairly well packed,
meaning lots went unIDed. Had one Thayers, 2 Iceland, including one very
white 1st-cycle individual and one adult whose wings I briefly saw as it
shifted, 1 adult glaucous and no subadults (weird?), and 1 Great
Black-backed. No adult black-backed gulls of either sort, though. Then we
stopped by Lakeshore State Park, and managed 6 Great Black-backed Gulls out
on the breakwaters. Finally, to cap the trip, we found a/the Snowy Owl on
the north east corner of the Coast Guard Impoundment north of the ferry
landing. I had finally decided that i was going to track Snowy Owls all the
way to Dallas (there's a bird in Texas right now, yes, and I ended up being
in the chain of reporting for it ...) I better see one in Wisconsin this
year. So that was a definite highlight.

On the way back, in near dark, Anya saw a GHO over the freeway, and a
little while later we saw our FOY Sandhill Crane heading north. (We assume
it was a Sandhill and not a certain other crane that's been seen in the
upper midwest recently, but we actually had no way of ruling it out by
silhouette!)

Great birding, and a great day to be out.

Jesse Ellis

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Tom Wood <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I met Chris at Lakeshore State Park but missed the Long-tailed Duck due to
> boat traffic and couldn't find the Black Scoter, but I did find the
> White-winged
> Scoter and 1 additional Great Black-backed Gull. I moved up to Bradford
> Beach where I found an additional 3 White-winged Scoters, and north of
> Bradford
> Beach, the Harlequin Duck as reported by Marilyn Bontly, continues. The
> Harlequin was a lifer for one gentleman who stopped by, so keep on
> reporting
> this bird when you see it! At Shorewood Nature Preserve there was a first
> winter male and one female Black Scoter.
>
> Thomas Wood,Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County

Post-doctoral Researcher
Dept. of Zoology
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Madison, Dane Co, WI