[wisb] Algoma Harlequin and Kewaunee Ross's Feb. 18

  • From: Ryan Rickaby <ryanrickaby@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 18:13:33 -0800 (PST)

I was able to visit Algoma and Kewaunee on Saturday February 18th, 2012, with
good results.

In the Algoma harbor I spotted the immature male Harlequin duck diving against
the right breakwall. It was in a small flock of common goldeneye. Also seen
were c. merganser, rb. merganser, bufflehead and scaup.
At Kewaunee I visited Harbor point park and spotted c. merganser, hundreds of
c. goldeneye, and good numbers of greater and lesser scaup. Then I thought I
would just stop and check Father Marquette Memorial Park and it payed off.
Hundreds of Canada Geese were seen on the sandy beach, and in the bunch was the
lone Ross's Goose standing on a little hump in the sand, and soon after it went
to sit in the water. I had great views and was a lifer! Also around 1000 more
ducks inside the two breaks, and a couple rafts outside with most being
goldeneye with both scaup mixed in.

Good Birding,
Ryan Rickaby
Suamico, Brown County