[wisb] Re: Great Gray Owl

  • From: David La Puma <woodcreeper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dhfreriks@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 21:09:02 -0600

Dave- I don't think you need to attack Cynthia to make your point that you
think the owl locations should be public knowledge. The difference between
your email and Cynthia's was that she was coming from a place of general
concern for the bird's well-being. It turns out that no matter how
well-intentioned we are about trying to spread the love of this bird,
there's ALWAYS some jerkoff (so far 100% of them have been photographers)
who decides they need to bait the bird, and many more (birders included)
who feel they need to trespass in order to see it. If you don't want to see
this request to suppress information to continue, then do be the
self-policing force needed to ensure that type of activity is not
tolerated. What's the best thing to do? Today's call to the warden was a
great move- and appears to have been productive. Otherwise, if you feel up
to it (you seem like a pretty formidable guy, at least that's the way your
carry yourself in online banter anyway) stand between the owl and the perps
and let them know that behavior won't be tolerated. If more people acted at
stewards for the wildlife we so desperately seek, would we even be having
this conversation? Your direct attacks on someone who actually cares for
the bird are unwarranted and misguided.
In birds we trust (people, not so much),

David

David A. La Puma
Postdoctoral Research Associate
SILVIS Lab (http://silvis.forest.wisc.edu/)