[windows2000] Re: SVCHOST.EXE @ 100% Every 5 seconds..

  • From: Mike Dillinger <miked@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:13:43 -0800

Message from "Martin, Eddie" on 12/10/04 01:37 PM PT quoted:

I have tried a million and one things to try and get whatever is on my
computer off.  I ran Spybot Search and Destroy, Adawre SE Personal Edition,
CWShredder, HiJack This, and also downloaded about 5 different virus removal
tools from Symantec, ran them all and nothing was found as far as a virus
was concerned.  I am running Windows XP Pro behind a firewall with Symantec
Anti-Virus Corporate Edition.  My pc cpu usage spikes to 100% about every 5
seconds, with svchost.exe being the main culprit.  I have googled this and
it comes up with about 5 billion possibilities about what it could be and
how to fix it.  Does anyone else know what this could be?  BTW: I Also went
into hkey_local_machine, Software, Microsoft, Windows, Current Version, Run,
and removed anything that could possibly be starting up.  If I unplug my
network cable from the computer, it stops so it definately is a trojan of
some sort.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've never not been able
to get spyware, or a Trojan off of a pc, so this one is A #1 on the
annoying, why can't I figure this out list!

I'd try some other virus scanners. Trend Micro has a free one on their web site (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/), and so does AVG (http://free.grisoft.com/). There may be others as well. Sometimes Norton and McAfee miss the obvious (from personal experience). Always try at least one other source for virus scanning when experiencing weird stuff like this.

One thing I saw on Google was that some newer trojans and viruses can hide on hidden partitions. Scary stuff.

-MikeD