[windows2000] Re: SVCHOST.EXE @ 100% Every 5 seconds..

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:43:21 +0100

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:46:23 -0500, Martin, Eddie wrote:

>Those are all the different types that I see.  I don't see anything that
>jumps out at me as being foreign or any directory or program referenced
>inside that I would believe to be spyware, although I could be missing
>something.  Not sure what I am looking for so it's a bit hard.  I
>reinstalled my nic drivers.  I have been getting an influx of emails every
>morning with the Sober virus attached, which leads me to believe I may be
>infected by that.  I ran the Sober removal tool on Friday though and it
>didn't find anything. I will try it again, I guess.  I don't really know
>what else to try, and I don't want to reinstall everything.. :(

You should see the CPU activity in the threads tab. I was thinking
that maybe you could keep an eye on that for a little while as you
said that there is activity every five seconds. After identifying
the offending thread you could investigate further from there.

Mind you, most computers have several svchost.exe's running! You
might have to check all of them.