[windows2000] Re: Printer IP address assignment

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:34:46 -0400

I'll disagree with what everyone else has said, and say that I prefer
DHCP reservations.

It is a "static IP" with the benefit of having a central location to
manage them.  It is also much easier for me to look at the bottom of a
JetDirect (or any other type), grab the MAC address, and setup a
reservation, then it is to remember how to use the particular version of
the management software that is supported by that particular print
server.

When I created my scope, I created about 30 "dummy" reservations in the
high part of the scope, with an invalid MAC address.  This essentially
"reserved the reservation" so that all my printer IP's are together.
Now, I simply modify one of those, and the printer gets the next
"printer" IP address.

Also, when you have to re-IP your network (which, no matter how much you
say you don't you WILL have to at some point) you can use the command
line tools to recreate all of the reservations in the new scope... No
need to connect to each old IP address and change it manually.

Actually, the last time we re-IP'ed our network, we wanted to make sure
that the printers all got the new reservations, so we shut down power to
the entire building and turned it back on. That was not a good idea, for
future reference...

(But at least it wasn't MY idea...)

YMMV,

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I  MCDBA