RE: Library Accessibility

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: winamp4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 00:10:16 -0500

I can actually see both sides on this one. Jim's corrrect when he says that you should use all the tools available to you and your screenreader, and then after that, contact the developers, or better yet, both you and the screenreader developers could do it. I'm sure the more people they have giving reports the better the data could be. But there is also something to be said for the regular user contacting the developers and not necessarily complaining, but simply saying, hey, my screenreader does this when I access this control, is there any way you could make things a little more standard? From what i understand, the library and all the views in it are pretty much html based now. so something is goofy between JAWS and the library for sure, it seems to have a problem accurately being able to read the necessary controls. So I think if both things happen, if both users and developers contact nullsoft about the issue maybe we could see a fix for this.

At 11:26 PM 4/23/2007, you wrote:
Why do this.  If you are having a problem with it contact a scripter or your
screen reader and let them contact nulsoft or fix it them selves.  That is
there job after all. Personally I feel complaining about accessibility
should only be done after you have used all the tools your screen reader has
to provide and still am not able to fix your problem.  Then the screen
reader makers need to provide more tools best approach or work together with
said company to fix the problem.  Or a combo a perfect example of a combo is
skype.  Where they have done some work to make skype more accessible and the
scripter for skype has done a lot of work.