(VICT) Re: New member and I clicker

  • From: "Julie J." <jlcrane@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 11:02:54 -0500

Diane,

I am definitely in favor of shelter dogs.  Both of my guides came from
shelters and most of my pets have as well.  There are a lot of very
excellent dogs  that need a home.

But with that said... you are really taking a gamble with a shelter dog,
especially with an adult.  There is no way to know exactly what breed you
are getting.  I have no problem with mixes.  I think there is something to
be said for natural selection and the healthiest surviving.  However some
breeds are more susceptible to certain temperament traits and health issues.
I think having a complete picture of what you are working with will better
prepare you for achieving a better outcome.  then with adult dogs you have a
whole new array of concerns because of socialization issues.

I got Tia from a shelter at five weeks old.  The information I was given was
that she was a coonhound mix and would probably get to be 50 to 60 pounds.
She was that size at 6 months old.  She ended up being around 90 pounds.  If
I had known she was going to be that big I  think things would have turned
out differently.

So I don't know what the answer is.  I guess maybe I wish there were
statistics on success rates among shelter dogs vs. specifically bred dogs
turning out as guides.  I don't know of anything like that though.

Julie
http://www.livingblind.com/eml
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and
those who matter don't mind.

Dr. Seuss