(VICT) Re: New member and I clicker

  • From: "Ann Edie" <annedie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 22:47:06 -0400

Hi, AnnaLisa, Dar, and Everyone,

One thing to remember which may make things easier for you in using Clicker
methods is that, once the dog understands clearly the meaning of the click
made by the mechanical clicker, that you can then switch from using the
mechanical clicker to making a click sound with your tongue.  At first, the
louder, sharper, distinct sound of the mechanical clicker is helpful in
teaching the dog that this new sound is different and significant, that it
means that he has done something great, and that he has earned a reward.
But once he has learned to listen for the click, you can switch to using a
tongue click.

Most clicker trainers who work with dogs stick with the mechanical clickers.
But I think this is because they may work with the dog at a distance away
from themselves, and they need a loud click sound.  But since we work with
our guide animals close to our sides, the dog will have no difficulty
hearing a click made by our tongues.  The tongue click has several
advantages:  it frees the hands for other uses; it is never out of reach,
lost, broken, or forgotten; and we don't have to fumble around to get it in
position to press.  The only disadvantage of the tongue click that I have
found is that it can be hard to click with your tongue if you have a
mouthful of food!

If I am working in a very noisy area, such as in a large room full of other
trainers and dogs, then I will use the mechanical clicker.  Otherwise I use
a tongue click both with my guide and with my riding horses.  I would think
the tongue click would work well in a church or theater situation, as the
volume of the tongue click can be easily controled, so that practically no
one hears the click except the dog.

Welcome, AnnaLisa, and all the other new members of the list.  I hope you
find lots of encouragement, support, and inspiration here, and that you get
your questions answered.

I am Ann, and my guide is Panda, a 6-year-old, black and white, pinto,
female, miniature horse.  Panda is entirely clicker trained and clicker
handled.  We have been a team for three and a half years.

Best to all,
Ann