(VICT) Re: More on handle harnesses

  • From: Megatartix <megatartix@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:59:44 +0200

Hello Valerie,
It is interesting that I should come back to the list just when this
subject is discussed.
Our school works with a long, almost U-shaped handle. They make the
handles themselves, by simply cutting a plastic tube and shaping it
around a wooden mold. Then, the yheat up the ends of the tube, and
insert two (I can't think of the right word in English just now...
Things like you have in keyrings, for example...), to attach the
handle to the two metal rings on the side of the harness.
The length is variable; it depends on the hight of the personand the
dog, on the length of the dog's body, etc., but you're supposed to
walk near the dog's hip.
I find it handy, because I like teaching my dogs to pass through
narrow spaces on pavements, which instructors don't do at school. At
our school, they teach dogs to sort of calculate about 60 centimeters
to heir right to let the owner pass. If the space is too narrow, the
dog should find a different rout - usually getting off the pavement
to walk around the obstacle.
I hate that, because there are always unending rows of cars parked
along the edge of the pavement, and I should waks in the middle of
the road. I think it is much safer to squeeze a little bit into a
narrow passage rather than risking to get run over, just because the
school's policy is that I should get off the pavement...

Having said all this, I was just thinking recently that I would like
to try a different handle, short, and attached on top of the harness,
near the dog's shoudlers. I am trying to make one myself, just to
experiment with, because none of our schools here has those.

A telescopic handle is my dream, but I haven't been able to locate one yet.
Does anybody have any ideas of where to find those?
Cheers,
Ollie