[vi-android] Re: Reason for subscribing

  • From: Quentin Christensen <quentin.christensen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 12:40:42 +1000

And then there are the alternatives to Android - the iPhone and the
Windows phone.

The iPhone works very similarly to Android, and like Android, the
iPhone comes with a screen reader (called VoiceOver).  iPhones tend to
be more expensive than equivalent Android phones and are not as
customisable (the advantage of that being that if you have an iPhone
it will be the same as everyone else's so what works on one will work
on another.  The disadvantage being that if you don't like the stock
iPhone keyboard or text messaging app, bad luck because it's your only
option).

Windows Phone doesn't yet have a screen reader to the extent of
Android or iPhone.  I did hear that the newest ones will start to
include a version of Narrator, and I believe they also have a
magnifier, but I would definitely be going with either Android or an
iPhone for accessibility, particularly screen reader accessibility for
now.

Re different Android manufacturers, yes as Glen said, Nexus devices
run a more 'pure' Android interface and don't have as much bloat ware
(extra apps and software features) which most of the manufacturers add
on to their phones.  Samsung are quite good, and their newest flagship
phone, the S5, also has the ability to triple click the home key to
quickly turn Talkback on and off, which is one feature of the iPhone
which we have been hoping to see overe on Android.  Some of the other
manufacturers have had issues with accessibility, as when they have
customised their interface, it has caused things not to work so well
with the screen reader.  I know at least HTC and Sony have suffered
from this, and I'm not sure about LG.  Even if you get one of their
phones, you can replace most of the inaccessible apps and features,
though there can still be issues, so I would stick with either a Nexus
or a Samsung for best acessibility with Talkback.

Regards

Quentin.