[vi-android] Re: Reason for subscribing

  • From: Jeanie Vejil <proud2have-tsedog@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-android@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 02:38:41 -0500

Hi Quenton.

Thanks for the tip about the various sizes of voice files. I'm going to listen to the Eloquence link just for the heck of it.

Jeanie

On Thursday 5/15/2014 02:13 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi Jeanie,

Code Factory have now released Eloquence for Android (the tip seems to
be to search for "ETI Eloquence" or "Eloquence text" or similar since
it's called "Eloquence Text To Speech" and just searching for
Eloquence doesn't find it as quickly).  Here is the link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=es.codefactory.eloquencetts

On that is a video which gives you an idea of what it sounds like.
THe feedback I've seen from a couple of users here is that it is
slightly compressed compared to say Jaws on a PC, but not badly and
overall it works really well.  It does work with a few languages, but
not ALL languages yet, so if you need support for a specific language
just double check it has that before you buy it (It costs around $20
US).

With Google's voices, it depends which language you prefer.  For
English US there is only Female, or Female (High quality), though for
English UK there are both male and female regular and high quality
voices (The high quality voices sound much better but are much larger
- the UK English Female voice is 4.6mb for instance, wheras her high
quality counterpart takes up a whopping 276 mb - As far as I can find
out that definitely gets stored on your phone, you can't store it on
your SD card).

And there are other voices as well - some manufacturers (like Samsung)
include their own voices (though I prefer the Google ones to
Samsung's), and there are third party voices you can download from the
Play Store.  "Ivona" make a range of different voices and accents for
a few dollars each (some are in beta and are free), and you can
download eSPeak, Pico and a few others you might have come across
before as well.

Finally re your own messages, yes the way the group is setup, you
don't get a copy of your own message.  I'll have a look and see if
there is an option I can change for that (I admin the group).

Regards

Quentin.