[va-richmond-general] Message From RAS Website Link

  • From: Jane Janney <jmmprw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-richmond-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 10:09:04 -0400

I have several hummingbird feeders around my home and always enjoy the
Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds every summer. However, this morning I noticed a
mature male hummer eating with great difficulty at a feeder. He perches on the
feeder, dips his tongue into the hole for nectar as normal, but then he seems
to have a very hard time swallowing. He has to turn his head straight into the
air and rock his body back and forth in order to swallow. Every time he comes
to the feeder he does this and it is a long, slow process for him to get his
food. I have not seen him go to any of my flowers and I suspect he cannot
access the nectar and swallow it “on the fly”. I am not sure if there is
anything that can be done for him, but it is very distressing to watch him
struggle so much. I wonder if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions for this
poor little guy. You are subscribed to VA-Richmond-General. To unsubscribe,
send email to