[Va-bird] Pine Siskins

  • From: Eve Gaige <egaige@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 13:28:48 -0500

I have a Pine Siskin invasion at the feeders. They feed with the gold finches and the purple finches. Previously I have had a few from time to time but there are at least 60-80 of them for the past week. They are not picky eaters and will consume thistle, sunflower seeds, peanut butter suet etc. What a treat!

Eve Gaige, Palmyra VA

On Dec 21, 2008, at 8:56 AM, va-bird-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Send va-bird mailing list submissions to
        va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
        http://mailman.listserve.com/listmanager/listinfo/va-bird
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
        va-bird-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

You can reach the person managing the list at
        va-bird-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of va-bird digest..."

Today's Topics:

  1. Purple Finches (orv lehman)
  2. White-wing Scoter in DC (David Sperling)
  3. Common Eider at CBBT (David Clark)
  4. Calliope Hummingbird in Lynchburg continues (Mark Adams)
  5. BREWERS BLACKBIRDS in Nokesville, Pr. Wm County, 12/20/08
     (StrixV@xxxxxxx)
  6. Pacific Loon, etc.- Kerr Reservoir 12/20 (Adam D'Onofrio)
  7. Andy Guest State Park (Jon Little)
  8. Cackling Goose at Camellia Williams Park in Danville, VA
     (Jeffrey Blalock)
  9. Alexandria Subsector, DC CBC, Dec 20, 08 (Kurt Gaskill)
 10. Pine Siskin and Winter Wrens,      Long Branch Nature Center area,
     Arlington (steveyoung@xxxxxxx)
 11. DC CBC- LBJ Grove, Roaches' Rub, Roosevelt Island
     (Larry Cartwright)
 12. Pine siskins in Albemarle (Jennifer Gaden)

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 11:01:42 -0500
From: "orv lehman" <coolmtnman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Va-bird] Purple Finches
To: <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Several Purple Finches at my feeder for the first time just north of Harrisonburg.
Orv Lehman    Linville Va
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 12:19:40 -0500
From: David Sperling <dssprl@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Va-bird] White-wing Scoter in DC
To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The CBC group assigned to Haines Point, led by Bob Klarquist, with
Sandy Farkas [who spotted the bird], Gary Meyers, Dave Sperling had a
lone White-winged Scoter at 9AM between Haines point and Fort McNair
which flew off at 10AM toward 14th St. bridge.
Dave Sperling
Washington DC

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 12:57:14 -0500
From: "David Clark" <david.clark1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Va-bird] Common Eider at CBBT
To: <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

There was a first winter male Common Eider at the first island of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel this morning (12/20).

The Ring-billed Gull with the orange patagial tags was present on the island as well. I presume this is the same bird that spent much of last winter on the island.

David Clark
Norfolk, VA
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 14:13:47 -0800 (PST)
From: Mark Adams <markadamsphd@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Va-bird] Calliope Hummingbird in Lynchburg continues
To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Friends,

I enjoyed an hour and half this morning (Saturday, 20 December) visiting with the cooperative Calliope Hummingbird that has been?in Lynchburg for some time. I was joined by?two birders from Pittsburgh and the gracious homeowners. The feeder environment they have? created and maintained (including a most helpful light) is an excellent one for the bird and for those who want to watch and study it. The hummingbird visited the feeder approx every 10 - 12 minutes this morning. As reported by others, each visit typically included? some perching in a nearby myrtle and a bit of chasing after the goldfinches, titmice et al who were frequenting seed feeders.

Mark Adams
Charlottesville?

------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 17:14:04 EST
From: StrixV@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Va-bird] BREWERS BLACKBIRDS in Nokesville, Pr. Wm County,
        12/20/08
To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, voice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
        frankenbee@xxxxxxxx,    jenfolts@xxxxxxx, sanfay@xxxxxxxxxxx

Birders -

I was in Nokesville today mostly looking for the Cackling Goose
unsuccessfully, when I decided
to check out the old Brewers' Blackbird sites. Well, the old cattle farm on
Fleetwood Drive by
the church had a largish (200) flock of mostly starlings. Then I noticed a
few cowbirds.  Then I
noticed a more slender blackbird about the same size as the other birds.
Then I noticed he had
a yellow eye! Hot dog!! I found 4 of 'em, including one female. Hard to
keep track and there may
be more, as the flock was rolling a lot of the time and a lot of the rest of
the time flying into the
trees. Light was not good (cloudy) so tree-scoping wasn't successful. It
was about 2:00 this
afternoon, and I was one happy puppy!

This species was regular, winter after winter, for many years. Then the
farmer sold some land and
houses are going in (back off the road at least) but the atmosphere was
different (Nokesville is
different!!) and the birds weren't seen. I thought I had a couple several
years ago but couldn't
get a good look. Maybe we've just missed them or overlooked them. Anyhow
they're here this
year!

Directions:  From the corner of Aden and Fleetwood roads, go south on
Fleetwood about 1/4 mile.
A farm is on the right and just beyond on the left is a church. Next to the
farm is a gravel (not
dirt, gravel) road leading to the new houses. Lots of room to park. The
cows and birds will be
to your right. Take your scope if you have one to catch the yellow eye.

Bev Leeuwenburg
Fairfax Station, VA
703-425-8904
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 22:55:34 +0000
From: bigadfromlb@xxxxxxxxxxx (Adam D'Onofrio)
Subject: [Va-bird] Pacific Loon, etc.- Kerr Reservoir 12/20
To: cbockhahn4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Brian Bockhahn),  va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        (Virginia Birds)

Tina Trice and I had some good birds down at Kerr Reservoir in Mecklenburg County today. Top bird was a PACIFIC LOON at Palmer Point Day Use Area. This is the sixth year in a row that I've seen this bird at this location. Also present was an adult RED-THROATED LOON, another annual occurrence the past six years. Plenty of COMMON LOONS too. A highlight was having all 3 species of loons interacting with each other very closely in one scope field. Pretty cool! I guess the biggest surprise came when a SPOTTED SANDPIPER flew right past us while we were looking at the loons. It landed on a nearby bank and started working it's way down the shoreline. This bird was still in alternate plumage with a heavily spotted breast. I had no idea that any members of this species hold on to this plumage this late in the year. Finally, there was an adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL below the dam at Tailrace Park. I've seen a LBBG there the last 3 winters making me wonder, is this the same
 bird?
One 3rd year HERRING GULL was also present among the BONAPARTE'S and RING-BILLED GULLS. Not much waterfowl around today but we did run into RINGED-NECKED DUCKS, BUFFLEHEAD, HOODED MERGANSERS, AMERICAN BLACK DUCKS, MALLARDS and a group of distant SCAUP. Good numbers of HORNED GREBES and several PIED-BILLED GREBES were scattered around the lake. We didn't really concentrate on land birds today but a few PINE SISKINS feeding with goldfinches and an adult RED-HEADED WOODPECKER were welcome. Good birding.

Adam D'Onofrio
Dinwiddie Co.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 18:58:45 -0500
From: "Jon Little" <littlejon48@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Va-bird] Andy Guest State Park
To: "VA Birds" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

We birded Andy Guest SP today and found a good number of winter specialties.

Most abundant, and by far the largest flock I've ever encountered, were Cedar Waxwings. Our conservative estimate is 300+. They were everywhere! (at least along the river edge). For the 2+ hours we were there, the Waxwings were feeding voraciously on a large cedar berry crop. As the birds pigged out, a good number would fill up, then gather in the tops of Sycamores to digest, as others switched off and ate in the cedars. It was almost like a tag-team feeding operation. We spent quite a while with the scope trying in vain for Bohemians; believe me, we looked hard for one!

While we were really there to look for Saw-whets, we explored a number of areas we had never done before. Primarily, the best birding we had was on the Bluebell Trail to the north of the campground. I highly recommend it as it has a wide Trex boardwalk with a nice loop along the riparian forest. Amazingly, there were NO ducks on the river, all the time we were there.

Although we dipped on a Saw-whet, we did have a nice list in the park:

Bald Eagle - 1 adult
Red-tailed Hawk - 2
Ruffed Grouse - 1 (flushed)
Kingfisher - 1
Red-bellied WP - 4
YB Sapsucker - 6
Downy WP - 6-8
Hairy WP - 3
Flicker - 5
Pileated WP - 3
C. Chickadee - 10
Titmouse - 6
WB Nuthatch - 6
Brown Creeper - 1
Carolina Wren - 3
Winter Wren - 2
GC Kinglet - 1
Ruby C Kinglet - 3
Hermit Thrush - 6-8 (nice bunch in one area near campground)
Yellow-rumped Warbler - 2-4
White-throated Sparrow - lots
Junco - lots
Cardinal - 10+
Goldfinch - 2

Jon & BJ Little
Winchester

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 20:36:44 -0500
From: "Jeffrey Blalock" <jcbabirder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Va-bird] Cackling Goose at Camellia Williams Park in
        Danville, VA
To: "Va-Bird \(E-mail\)" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,       "JOE FOSTER
        \(E-mail\)" <jbirds@xxxxxxxx>,       "Fred Collins \(E-mail\)"
        <chassy123@xxxxxxxxx>,    "Debbie Henderson \(E-mail\)"
        <debhenderson674@xxxxxxx>

Greetings to all:

This afternoon at 1415 hrs, I stopped at Camellia Williams Park, Memorial
Dr. in Danville, VA next to the Kentucky Fried Chicken, I spotted 3
Pied-bill Grebes on the Dan River and then checked out the large number of
Canada Geese and found a single Cackling Goose with the flock.

The goose is about half the size of the Canada Goose and has a very short
stubby bill.

Jeffrey Blalock
South Boston, VA  24592
434-470-8071
jcbabirder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

------------------------------

Message: 9
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 20:40:39 -0500
From: "Kurt Gaskill" <KurtCapt87@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Va-bird] Alexandria Subsector, DC CBC, Dec 20, 08
To: <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

VA BIRDers,

Marc Ribaudo, Rich Rieger, and Molly and Peter Ross joined me in counting
the Alexandria Subsector of the DC circle (from the Dyke Marsh picnic area
north along the Potomac to the southern edge of National Airport). The day
started at 40F and went downhill to about 32F with a slight northern breeze
felt keenly near the river. Highlights were Great Egret (Hunting Creek
inland side), Merlin near the partially constructed Bald Eagle nest between
the golf course and the GW Parkway, Peregrine Falcon on the new Wilson
Bridge, nearly a dozen Laughing Gulls at the mouth of Hunting Creek early in
the morning and late in the afternoon, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher at Daingerfield
Island, 2 Palm Warblers along GW Parkway just north of the Dyke Marsh picnic
area (a new addition to this CBC route), Common Yellowthroat north of the
bridge in the weedy area, and Pine Siskin at Daingerfield Island.  The
lowlights were virtually no waterfowl other than Mallards, Am. Black Ducks
and Bufflehead. Red-bellied WP and crows were also low. Other interesting
birds recorded were DC Cormorant, Sharpie and Cooper's Hawks, Brown Creeper,
several Winter Wrens, good numbers of kinglets (10 GC and 21 RC), a great
sunset American Robin flight north across the beltway (746 birds), and
Common Grackle. We tallied 61 species, one less than the average for this
route (N=9).

Kurt Gaskill

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------------------------------

Message: 10
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 22:00:41 -0500
From: steveyoung@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Va-bird] Pine Siskin and Winter Wrens,        Long Branch Nature
        Center area, Arlington
To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

A group of us did a bit of the DC Christmas Bird Count in the Long Branch Nature Center/Glencarlyn Park area of Arlington today. Our best bird was a lone Pine Siskin spotted by eagle-eyed Elton feeding in a Sweetgum tree with a few American Goldfinches. We did well with Winter Wrens and counted 5, which might even be a bird or two low. We also enjoyed a pair of Wood Ducks at Sparrow Pond. In addition to the usual and frustrating types of misses, there were some surprising ones including not a Mourning Dove to be found nor a Blue Jay.

27 species total. Air temp fell from 40F to 36F during our time out there. Also noted, a 6-point White-tailed Deer and a sparse 2-3 Gray Squirrels... I am awfully tempted to blame Global Acorn Disappearing for some of the strangeness out there. Happy Holidays to all and cheers,

???? Steve
???? Glencarlyn, Arlington
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------------------------------

Message: 11
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 22:32:38 -0500
From: "Larry Cartwright" <prowarbler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Va-bird] DC CBC- LBJ Grove, Roaches' Rub, Roosevelt Island
To: "Virginia Birding" <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I birded with Greg Butcher, Jack Greenwood, Daphne Gemmil, Andrea Kraljevic, and Agie Yatsko today. Special thanks and kudos to Bill Young, who despite facing health issues, did an excellent job in organizing the team and handling the data. He faced the task in great spirits and with good humor. I felt honored to be in his company.

LBJ Grove was hopping today with a dozen kinglets of both species working the pines in the northern portion of the Grove. They were accompanied by two Red-breasted Nuthatches and two Pine Warblers.

Roaches' Run held few ducks. Our waterfowl numbers, like Kurt's were low, but we did find 9 Pied-billed Grebes, 15 Hooded Mergansers, and 2 DC Cormorants at Roaches' Run. Greg spotted a Merlin as we were leaving.

Teddy Roosevelt Island, except for woodpeckers and a Hermit Thrush, was strangely quiet.

I birded the area near my home in Annandale this afternoon, but there was nothing to write home about. The usual flock of juncos found in the eastern portion of the park were disappointingly absent. There is a Barred Owl vocalizing in my back yard along Holmes Run right now however. A nice way to end the day.

Also noted are Sandy's team White-winged Scoter and Kurt's fine assortment of birds. His team's Blue-gray Gnatcatcher at Dangerfield Island may be the only one found in the count circle today. I am still awaiting the details of an Iceland Gull report.

Larry Cartwright: DC CBC Compiler
prowarbler@xxxxxxxxxxx

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Message: 12
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 21:38:52 -0800 (PST)
From: Jennifer Gaden <jmsgaden@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Va-bird] Pine siskins in Albemarle
To: va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I had four Pine Siskins at the thistle feeder today.? I heard them before I saw them and they made a nice addition to my Feeder Watch count.
Jennifer Gaden, Albemarle County