[uae] Re: OT: Beryl (also Re: Compiz)

  • From: Jason Rainforest <l3mming@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 16:27:26 +1000

Hey Rich,

I have changed from Compiz to Beryl now.. and damn am I impressed with
it! Beryl-Settings-Manager and the Emerald Themer are fantastic. I don't
think I've ever seen so many options in one place before. I spent 3
hours (!!) playing with it last night, lol.

I'm using this apt source, which has AMD64 binaries as well as others.

deb http://ubuntu.beryl-project.org edgy main

There's a Debian repository as well, which you probably found but I'll
put here anyway (from the Beryl Wiki):

deb http://debian.beryl-project.org/ etch main

As for E-UAE i586 and the transparent window contents issue, it still
exists with Beryl. Here's a couple of screenshots, one with the i586
version and one with the AMD64 version, exactly the same config. Same as
before too, the i586 version when using GL output works fine, except
display update is so slow that it's unusable (perhaps 0.50-0.75 frames
per second). Each shot is 1.3mb (1680x1050 PNG), hopefully you're not on
dialup, lol :-)

http://members.iinet.net.au/~l3mming/temp/2007-02-23_UAE_i586_Screenshot.png
http://members.iinet.net.au/~l3mming/temp/2007-02-23_UAE_AMD64_Screenshot.png

> > I would assume Compiz does insert a wedge between OpenGL application
> > output and the screen. I can drag OpenGL outputs around in Compiz and
> > they move with the window frame, and also are subject to all of Compiz's
> > visual effects. I'd assume this is also why OpenGL outputs are either
> > erratic, slow to update, or update in strange ways (some parts of the
> > the display will update faster than the rest of it).
>
> Interesting.

With Beryl (latest release as of yesterday, 0.2.0~0beryl1), I can move
OpenGL displays around too. I haven't tested any other version.

> I dunno. I'm kind of new - in a practical sense at least - to this OpenGL
> compositing stuff in X11. From my short experience, I'm really disappointed
> about how poorly performs. Running OS X on a 333MHz G3 with a Rage128 didn't
> feel as slugglish (from the point of view of GUI update speed in general) as
> Beryl on this AMD 1.3GHz, Radeon 9250 box. My 800MHz G4 x 2/GeForce2 OS X box
> just blows Beryl away on this set-up. I suppose part of the blame can be laid
> at the door of imperfect R200 drivers, but still... And this box felt
> sluggish enough in the first place. :-(

There's certainly more work to be done. I read that X.org 7.2 includes
some stuff to help compositing window managers.. should be interesting
to give Feisty a go when it releases, which comes with 7.2.

> (When I were a lad, I remember when WordWorth opened almost instantaneously,
> and I had to get up an hour before I went to bed and eat a handful of hot
> gravel, etc., etc. Tell young people today that and they don't believe
> you. :-)

So true. It's amazing what we used to do in a couple of megabytes. Those
same tasks now require several hundred megabytes (like opening
OpenOffice :-)).

> The only thing I can think of (barring bugs in Compiz, your GL driver,
> whatever) is that E-UAE is getting the wrong idea about the pixel format of
> the screen. I don't see why this would be an x86 only issue and not an AMD64
> issue as well. If this is the case, it's morely likely due to differences in
> X set up, rather than merely the difference in processor.

Are there other modes I could try? I can't remember how to tell E-UAE to
use other modes (like DGA). This might help to isolate the issue (maybe
it's SDL non-GL only?).

Cheers,
Jason