[uae] Re: OT: Beryl (also Re: Compiz)

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 01:41:31 -0400

Hi Jason

On Tuesday 20 March 2007 19:20, Jason Rainforest wrote:
> I think I tried to get Compiz 0.3.6 working with Debian, but some highly
> desirable items (like Gnome-compiz-manager) required GTK 2.10+ to build
> from source. I tried adding Experimental to my sources.list, but even
> then some packages weren't new enough or they just didn't exist yet.
> Installing Ubuntu fixed this, and is close enough to Debian that I
> haven't missed anything.

Yep. I use Ubuntu on a couple of machines already. I just don't want to invest
the time to convert this particular machine to Ubuntu. I installed Debian on
it about 7 years ago - although it's one of those broom questions: if you
replace the head, and then later replace the handle, is actually the same
broom? Nothing of that original machine still remains, but I still consider
it the same install, and it's still running Debian/unstable ;-)

> The most major difference is using sudo rather
> than just su'ing to root, everything else is familiar (it's built on
> Debian afterall).

I got used to that on OS X.

> That and having much newer versions of everything is
> nice.

Indeed. But I actually first tried Ubuntu because Debian for AMD64 was so
crap. :-(

> I would assume Compiz does insert a wedge between OpenGL application
> output and the screen. I can drag OpenGL outputs around in Compiz and
> they move with the window frame, and also are subject to all of Compiz's
> visual effects. I'd assume this is also why OpenGL outputs are either
> erratic, slow to update, or update in strange ways (some parts of the
> the display will update faster than the rest of it).

Interesting.

> In the case of Beryl, if it isn't redirecting OpenGL outputs, this would
> explain why an OpenGL display is unmovable.. this would be great for
> games like Quake IV as there would be no need to stop Beryl before
> playing. Compiz needs to be stopped first, or frame rates are halved and
> display updates become mildly erratic. I don't think the option
> unredirect_fullscreen_windows has any effect on it here either.

I don't think there is such an option in Beryl. At least I haven't come across
it. If it already has 'direct rendering' in windowed mode anyway, this option
probably wouldn't make much sense.

> E-UAE's OpenGL renderer is the only way to use E-UAE i586 under AMD64 +
> Compiz here at the moment (out of the usual SDL and SDL OpenGL - haven't
> tried X11/DGA or anything else). Compiz's compositing gets in the way of
> a smooth update though. Perhaps in later versions of Compiz this issue
> is fixed? I haven't tried building it from CVS (and Gandalfn's
> repository for Ubuntu hasn't been updated since January).

I dunno. I'm kind of new - in a practical sense at least - to this OpenGL
compositing stuff in X11. From my short experience, I'm really disappointed
about how poorly performs. Running OS X on a 333MHz G3 with a Rage128 didn't
feel as slugglish (from the point of view of GUI update speed in general) as
Beryl on this AMD 1.3GHz, Radeon 9250 box. My 800MHz G4 x 2/GeForce2 OS X box
just blows Beryl away on this set-up. I suppose part of the blame can be laid
at the door of imperfect R200 drivers, but still... And this box felt
sluggish enough in the first place. :-(

(When I were a lad, I remember when WordWorth opened almost instantaneously,
and I had to get up an hour before I went to bed and eat a handful of hot
gravel, etc., etc. Tell young people today that and they don't believe
you. :-)

> So, using the standard SDL renderer, the AMD64 compile of E-UAE works
> fine, but the i586 version has much increased brightness and strange
> transparency settings while Compiz is compositing. I'm not sure if this
> would give any leads, but: The gnome-terminal supports true transparency
> with Compiz. Perhaps the way it achieves this (sets a flag somewhere
> with GTK or the X server?) is where E-UAE i586 has its problem.

The only thing I can think of (barring bugs in Compiz, your GL driver,
whatever) is that E-UAE is getting the wrong idea about the pixel format of
the screen. I don't see why this would be an x86 only issue and not an AMD64
issue as well. If this is the case, it's morely likely due to differences in
X set up, rather than merely the difference in processor.

Richard Drummond

Web:  http://www.rcdrummond.net/
Mail: mailto:evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx