[TURC] Re: mechanisms for social dialogue

  • From: Chris Blado <chrisblado@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: turc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 15:31:26 -0800

Hi Bryan,

If you’re looking for an international perspective, Germany would be an
excellent case study.  Their co-determination law (*Mitbestimmungsgesetz)*
allow for the creation of plant-level works councils in which labor and
management jointly decide non-wage issues, such as operating times and
working conditions.  Meanwhile, the law also mandates significant labor
representation on corporate boards.  The Hans Boeckler Stiftung (
http://www.boeckler.de/index.htm) is an independent organization that
promotes co-determination in Germany.  I’ve contacted them before and found
them very helpful.

I’m currently doing research on co-determination, and particularly its
recent spread to the US via the establishment of a works council at
Volkswagen in Chattanooga, Tennessee.  I’d be happy to share some articles
on works councils with you.  Let me know if there’s something a bit more
specific you’re looking for (historical case studies, national comparisons,
recent trends, etc.)

Best,

Chris

chrisblado@xxxxxxxxx