[TURC] Re: mechanisms for social dialogue

  • From: Paul Tulloch <mostlyacog@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "turc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <turc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 13:27:20 -0500

Hi Bryan,

I have a list somewhere with quite a few sources- let me dig around and see if
I can find it.

I worked for awhile with the Workplace Innovation Group at Federal Mediation
and Conciliation and we were plugged into many of the sector councils and such
- especially on the labour side. Warren Edmondson was my boss back then and
played a critical role in building many of the infrastructure to facilitate
such dialogue. He would ideally be a great resource to speak to on such
matters- he was most recently at the CIRB.  Gerald Pelletier was another key
figure I worked for, who left FMCS and went to build the mining sector council-
which I help a bit with.  I know the person who was running the Software was
Philemon Paquette- he was a nice person as well.

And of course there was Andrew Sharpe who before the sector councils ran the
CLMPC- I forget what it stood for now? CAnadian Labour Management Partnerships
Council

It was an amazing period- lots of experimenting and best cases practices-
especially with collective bargaining language and the shop floor.

Some in labour, and I was in this camp- looked at it merely as a long
protracted  series of  concessions by labour of shop floor control over work
processes and wages- towards pay for skill, variable pay and the rest of it. I
recall getting fired over such a belief! Warren had a job to do and I was a bit
of a saboteur on some occasions.  However, there was a fine balance by that
many in labour felt had to be maintained by the state- essentially it was a
debate between negotiated change on the shop floor- and sometimes a partnership
approach worked. However there were many instances where labour was pushed into
it, and sometimes with the state helping- that is where I got a bit upset.

There was some direct involvement by facilitating partnerships through the FMCS
with many of their newly designed mediation and conciliation services that
focused on new styles of bargaining-  like interest based bargaining and the
like.

HRDC also had some programs that funded innovative attempts at changing the
process between the two parties.

I think the most active sectoral councils were auto, mining, steel, software,
and trucking.

If you would like to discuss any aspects give me a shout, I will see if I can
find the listing - a lot of this was during the early and mid 90's- and it died
down I think in the mid 2000's.

Paul Tulloch
www.livingwork.ca

From: b1evans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: turc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TURC] Re: mechanisms for social dialogue
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 16:25:38 +0000

Nope. I have an appointment.

Could do around 4 on Wednesday.

Again around 4 Friday.

Failing that a call will have to suffice, sadly.