[triadtechtalk] Re: Windows Installer

  • From: RPRKOCVGGPED@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 11:49:35 -0800

From: elisam

> --from "elisam" <elisam2@xxxxxxxxxxx>--
> --reply triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> ***  Triad Tech Talk
> (www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=triadtechtalk) ***
>

> Hi everybody!
>
> A few weeks ago I downloaded (but did not install it)
> the Windows Installer. At the time it seemed to me
> that it might do a good job to prevent DLL Hell,
> caused by progs which I'll put on my computer.
>
> So,  a couple of days ago thinking of installing it, I
> searched for more info on what it would do and I am
> now not sure if it is meant for the end-user or for the
> programmers to include  in the programs they are writing.
>
> Does anyone know?
>
> Greetings
> Elisabeth

Here's the lowdown on the Windows Installer.

In order to standardize how Windows installs software, Microsoft produced a
Windows Installer. This has a number of advantages, including that the
Windows Installer pretty much guarantees that software installed using the
Windows Installer will be properly uninstalled.

It comes in two parts. Part one is an installer for others to use to ensure
that their software is installed properly. That's the part that is used by
the programmers. You can tell when software being installed to your computer
is using this installer when it states that it is starting the installer
when the software first starts to install.

The second half of the installer is on your machine. The installer was added
to Windows with ME, I believe, and previous versions of Windows don't have
it. In order for programs that use the new Windows Installer to install to
these versions of Windows, it must be installed.

Here's the kicker. If you install a program that uses the new Windows
Installer, but don't have it, it installs the new Windows Installer, reboots
your machine, and then you must run installation again. However, you now
have the installer on your machine for future use.

David Nasset, Sr.
AKA Filksinger