[torontocbm] is there a database of info on protection schemes - how to copy various programs?

  • From: Dan Gahlinger <dgahling@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torontocbm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 13:56:18 -0500

I'm just wondering if someone has done this yet (must be) a list of
the protection schemes the c64 used, detailing the info on them,

and/or a list of how to backup various programs (or companies) disks.

especially using nibtools (.nib or .g64 files)

I've long since forgotten the protection schemes and how to back them
up, I have many originals.

Like Maniac Mansion which uses rapidlok,
Accolade Comics which has some odd protection
Project FireStart
Neuromancer
Toy Bizarre

and stuff like SuperKit - I don't think I've seen a decent copy of this anywhere
(I have the original of all of these)

I know on the c64 I'd use 21 second backup or trackmimic, burst
nibbler, or some utility and parameters to strip the protections,
but these are actual original disks I have and would like to preserve them.

Yes, I know arnold, lemon, gbc, or newsgroups probably have cracked
versions, or some of these could be snapshotted,
but I'd like to preserve them as they were, in their original states.

even things as basic as, I can't remember which ones used half-tracks,
so I never know when to turn it on.

My maniac mansion original as a sticky note that says use shotgun with
density detection turned off,
does that still apply to nibtools (-d) ?

the c64 preservation society website has nibtools nov 27/2011 with a
note talking about pirateslayer and using -pp
but nibread doesn't seem to understand that parameter.

is there such a list of nibtool information or a database that
outlines the protections used and how to make backups?

Dan.