[TN-Bird] Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

  • From: "Michelle Brown" <mbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 14:18:17 -0500

I have spent the morning trying to identify this bird as it has taken great
delight in hiding from me at every turn.  I first caught a fleeting glimpse of
the bird yesterday as I was leaving my home.  Today I spotted it as it
disappeared around the trunk of a maple tree in my front yard.  I retrieved my
binoculars, blew the dust off of them and began scanning the tree from my front
window.  When I decided to step out on the porch the bird flew over the house
and toward the backyard.  I made my way to the back porch and continued my
search.  The bird provided my with small glimpses of shoulders and a peak at
the head before it again flew over the house back to the front yard.  This time
I stood just inside the door and watched for several minutes when the bird
finally decided to show himself in all his sapsucker glory!  I have had
sapsuckers in years past.  I had only noted sap wells on the maple in the front
yard but today while straining my eyes I discovered that the silver leaf maple
in the backyard has been worked over very well.  Glad to have my little visitor
back for the winter.

The Great Horned Owls have been very active in the last several weeks.  Calling
and inspecting my presence while I was removing tree limbs from my pasture
fence.  They must have decided I was no threat as they flew off into the
evening sky.

My feeders have been busy this winter with the usual guests.

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and may you all have a Happy New Year!!!