[tn-bird] Re: Tess Cumbie and Hummers and Pishing

  • From: "Sheb Marsh" <sapsucker@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 10:25:01 -0500

> As a long time contributer to TN-List:  Why cant we concentrate more on
> sightings and less on all of this stuff!  It sounds like people need to get
> out in the field more and out from behind their computers!
>
> Kevin Calhoon

Kevin

Your advice would seem to now apply to yourself as well. Suggesting an end to a
thread is the list-owner's perogative and none of ours, regardless of the
privilege you feel as a long time contributor. Threads end when interest in the
subject has waned, and this one is dead.

Does your disapproval also extend to the nonbirding posts about Ol' Coot, or
just those topics that displease you? Recent posts about nonexistent birds are
humorous and highly entertaining, but are not actual sightings either. I
enjoyed reading them, nevertheless. It was nice to see the wit of some long
time posters on display.  I didn't see your objections to them. Postings about
birding ethics is always controversial, but I think it is good to examine the
issues from time to time. There are always new subscribers who haven't been
exposed to these topics previously.

I hope none of my comments have seemed to be of a personal nature against Bob
Sargent. From reading his posts and what others have said about him he comes
across as a genuinely nice person, one I would be happy to call friend. Friends
don't have to agree on everything.

This has gotten pretty much off topic for such a list so I need to mention
birds somewhere in here. Shorebirds are my favorites and I envy Jeff for all
the great shorebirds he is seeing. If I thought it would help I'd also say
something nice about the list-owner. Maybe next time.

Sheb Marsh
Paducah, KY