[THIN] Re: OT:Removing Exchange 5.5 from 2k enviroment

  • From: "Magnus" <magnus@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 10:28:02 -0400

Here are the exact details

Removal of the Last Exchange Server 5.5
Because both inbound and outbound Internet mail may have been flowing
through the Exchange Server 5.5 computer, you must transfer these =
processes
to Exchange 2000 Server before you remove Exchange Server 5.5.=20
To Reroute Incoming Internet E-mail to the Exchange 2000 Server
        If you have a firewall that routes e-mail messages to a private IP
address on your Exchange Server 5.5 computer, you can reconfigure your
firewall to route e-mail messages to the private IP address of the =
Exchange
2000 Server computer.=20
-or-=20
        Swap IP addresses of the new Exchange 2000 Server computer and the
old Exchange Server 5.5 computer. Note that this can result in some
temporary name resolution issues on your network. After changing the IP
address of the Exchange 2000 server you will need to update its records =
in
DNS and AD. To do this, go to a command prompt, you must run the =
following
commands:
        IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS=20
        IPCONFIG /REGISTERDNS

and then restart the NET LOGON service on the Exchange 2000 Server =
computer,
and then restart the Exchange Server 5.5 computer.=20
-or-=20
        Have your Internet Service Provider (ISP) update the mail exchange
(MX) record to reference the new Exchange 2000 Server computer. You can
expect incoming e-mail to be disrupted for at least three hours, and up =
three days, while this update is replicated over the Internet.
To Reroute Outgoing Internet E-mail Through the Exchange 2000 Server
1.      Start the Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 Administrator program, and
then connect to the Exchange Server 5.5 computer.=20
2.      Navigate to the following location:=20
Organization\Site\Configuration container\Connections
3.      Click the Internet Mail Service properties, click the Address Space
tab, click SMTP Address Spaces, and then click Remove.=20
4.      Then recalculate routing from the Exchange 5.5 Administrator
program, Organization\Site\Configuration container, Site Addressing
properties, Routing Tab, and then click Recalculate Routing.
Note that locally scoped address spaces are not allowed in Exchange 2000
Server environments and that only Organization and Routing Group scopes =
are
allowed. For additional information, click the article number below to =
view
the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:=20
257638 XCON: Locally Scoped Connectors Not Allowed in a Mixed Exchange
Server 5.5-Exchange 2000 Environment=20
After you verify that all e-mail message flow is routed through the =
Exchange
2000 Server computer, remove the Internet Mail Service (IMS). To do so, =
in
the Exchange Server 5.5 Administrator program, click Internet Mail =
Service,
click Edit, and then click Delete.=20

back to the top=20
Removing the Last Exchange 5.5 Server
1.      Stop Exchange 5.5 services, and then set the Microsoft Exchange
System Attendant to disabled.=20
2.      From the Exchange 2000 Server, use the Exchange 5.5 Administrator
program. Make sure that you are using the Exchange 2000 Server version =
of
the Exchange 5.5 Administrator program, which is an option installed =
from
the Exchange 2000 Setup program. After you start this version of the
Exchange 5.5 Administrator program, click File, click Connect to Server =
connect to the Exchange 2000 Server computer) to delete Exchange Sever =
5.5
computer from the site.

For additional information about how to remove the last Exchange Server =
5.5
computer from an Exchange 2000 Administrative Group, click the article
number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:=20
284148 XADM: How to Remove the Last Exchange Server 5.5 Computer from an
Exchange 2000 Administrative Group=20
3.      Locate Active Directory Connection Manager, right-click the
Configuration Connection Agreement (Config_CA), and then force =
replication
by clicking Replicate Now.=20
4.      Wait for the Exchange Server 5.5 computer to disappear from Exchange
System Manager, and then use Exchange System Manager to delete the Site
Replication Service, which is located in the following location:=20
Organization\Tools\Site Replication Services\YourSiteReplicationService
5.      This procedure deletes the Config_CA connection agreement and you
can now delete the ADC Recipient and Public Folder Connection =
Agreements.=20
6.      Use the Add/Remove Programs tool to remove the Active Directory
Connection Manager.=20
7.      You can now locate Exchange System Manager, click the Organization,
click Properties, and then switch to native mode. To do so, under the
General tab, click Change Mode.
For additional information, click the article numbers below to view the
articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:=20
152959 XADM: How to Remove the First Exchange Server in a Site=20
260781 XADM: Change Mode Button Inactive in Organization Properties =
Dialog
Box After Upgrading Exchange 5.5 Service Pack 3 to Exchange 2000 Server=20
NOTE: In the Application event log on the Exchange 2000 Server computer, =
you
may see some event ID message 9318s from the message transfer agent =
(MTA)
and event ID messages 1025s from the MSExchangeIS private information =
store
after you apply these changes. These event ID messages are warnings that =
may
be due to Name Resolution failure using cached DNS naming information in
Active Directory. These event ID messages are typically removed in three =
six days. Some customers have reported to have removed these warnings =
more
quickly by rebooting their Global Catalog Servers.

For general recommendations when you migrate from Exchange Server 5.5 to
Exchange 2000 Server refer to the following:=20
In-Place Upgrade from MicrosoftR Exchange 5.5 to MicrosoftR Exchange =
2000
A Guide to Upgrading from MS Exchange Server 5.5 to Exchange 2000 Server