[THIN] Re: Backups

  • From: Evan Mann <emann@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 14:21:10 -0400

I can't say we have the best disaster recovery plans, but we have about 18
servers, 11 in the "HQ" and 2 in a remote HQ, and 1 at each remaining site.
We don't do ghost images or any type of imaged backup because the likely
hood of getting a server with similar configuration of hardware, and then it
coming up from a non-identical image are low, even with Windows 2000, which
is far superior to NT in this reguard.

So we do network wide package to AIT-1 nightly, and every week we do a more
comprehensive backup to an older Exabyte 8505XL based tape library which has
more storage.  We backup current states of SQL databases, shared folders,
backups of databases, etc.  The standard things most people would backup.
We use ARCServe.  It's not the greatest, but it gets the job done.

Because of the nature of my network and applications, I could bring the
entire thing up on a fresh install of Windows 2000 with AD in a 24 hour
period, including a server at each location.  In a matter of minutes a brand
new domain policy can be locked down.  There are some options for
importing/exporting GPO that were flying around Focus-MS on securityfocus as
well, those could greatly assist here as well.

The citrix server is used for published apps so it's a much easier thing to
re-create than having to deal with published desktops and all the necessary
registry tweaks/hacks/etc.

Most things are docuemnted in a disaster recovery plan and are easily
re-creatable from scratch with very little effort.

In essense, in one day of work (once hardware was obtained), I could
re-instate my network back to where it was.  Not with the exact final
configuration and level of tweaking, but it would be running, which is more
important than it being exactly the way it was.  For my company, that's a
more than acceptable turn around time.  That may not be for others.

I've heard of people getting two of every server they have.  Loading it and
configuring it exactly like the production server, then pulling it and
putting it offsite.  In the event of disaster, hardware is there, already
configured.  They just need to take their backup and restore whatever was on
it, be-it exchange mailboxes, user files, a SQL/Oracle/DB2 database, etc.