[THIN] Re: Applying TsProfilePath via TSCMD with Variables

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 09:24:09 +0100

Comments inline...

It's only doable for 2003 server systems, AIUI, with the latest version of
ADSI.

> I believe that this is an
> example of the
> superiority of WSH and scripting vs KIX.

Actually, it's not.

You can't do it with Windows 2000 systems via ADSI, unless you're using API
calls wrapped by COM object (ie you can't do it natively).

So there's no true difference - but in fairness, my advocacy was for Kix
more for login script type activity - which this type of thing isn't.

I've written many WSH / ADSI scripts for terminal server users manipulation
and migration, including modifying things like the terminal server profile
path and home directory - my stance isn't against WSH / ADSI - it's merely
using it where it's most suited.

> There had been  a long
> discussion about this topic in the previous day. I am happy
> to find some
> other administrator that is using wsh to create administrator
> scripts.

I would imagine there are numerous admins on the list using WSH / ADSI for
admin type tasks - the debate on advocacy was more about login scripts.

> http://www.winnetmag.com/WindowsServer2003/Index.cfm?ArticleID=26365
> This article is about windows server 2003 that is actually
> shipping with
> a specific dll for terminal server.

AIUI, it's merely now included as a property you can manipulate via ADSI (ie
actually included in the interfaces, as opposed to being additional objects
wrapped, and needing including as an additional DLL).

Neil

This e-mail and its attachments are confidential and are intended for
the above named recipient only. If this has come to you in error,
please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your
system. You must take no action based on this, nor must you copy or
disclose it or any part of its contents to any person or organisation.

Statements and opinions contained in this email may not necessarily
represent those of Littlewoods. Please note that email communications
may be monitored.

The registered office of Littlewoods Limited and its  subsidiaries
is 100 Old Hall Street, Liverpool, L70 1AB.
Registered number of Littlewoods Limited is 262152