[THIN] Re: 2003 TS Perf Problem - best way to 100% find it

  • From: "Tim Mangan" <tmangan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:04:51 -0400

You should continue to try to figure out if the issue is memory or CPU.
Since you hear about the problems at 40-60% CPU and close/open clears it out
I would guess that it is memory. However, you also indicated that paging is
OK so you need to look at the question of memory/cpu closer.  It sounds like
you have been doing that - but keep looking!

As a note:  Although 2003 seems far better than 2000, I have seen two
troubling things on 2003 that happen "now and then" which may be worth
keeping an eye out for.

One is the print spooler - all that printer mapping when a user logs on.
The spooler daemon uses way too much CPU and messes everyone up.

The second is LSAS.  I don't know what it could possibly be doing to use up
as much CPU as it does at times, but one assumes that because it is so busy
it directly slows down requests that must pass through it.

The spooler can be controlled via third party apps.  I know of nothing to
help LSAS - but then it hasn't been confirmed to be a problem, it is only
worrisome.

Tim Mangan