[texbirds] Tuesday morning birding, Hagerman NWR.

  • From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 14:50:25 -0500

On a beautiful clear morning with a chilly start we found 61 species.
Now that the refuge is open again,after the government shutdown, it was great
to get out on the refuge again.
Birds of note were a couple of Summer Tanagers at Dead Woman Pond and a
Black-crowned Night-heron in Mineral Marsh.  The Western Meadowlarks are back
and we saw a large group of American White Pelicans on the lake.  There was
also a raft of ducks on the lake but because of the dropping water level they
were too far away to identify all of them. They continue pumping water into the
marshes so there should be plenty of habitat for the ducks.  The acreage that
has been seeded with wheat is sprouting after the rain and should look good
after a few days of sunshine.
Jack Chiles, Texas Master Naturalist and volunteer, Hagerman NWR.