[texbirds] Tuesday morning birding, Hagerman NWR

  • From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 16:00:21 -0500

We only saw 52 species today but no one went home disappointed because of the
bonanza of woodpeckers at Dead Woman Pond. We found 7 species of Woodpeckers
there including 2 Pileated, 8 Red-headed, 2 Hairy, 5 Northern Flickers, 2
Red-bellied, 1 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and several Downies. We also had
closeup looks, like 8 feet away looks at a Marsh Wren. We had closeup looks at
a House Wren at the bottom of the long hill at Goode. Shorebirds were in short
supply and most of the Pelicans that were here this past weekend were gone.
All of the roads that are normally open year-round are now open with the
exception of the cross-over between Tern and Plover pads.
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/email?subID=S25320749
Jack Chiles, Texas master naturalist and volunteer, Hagerman NWR.