[texbirds] Tuesday morning birding, Hagerman NWR

  • From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 16:13:06 -0500

Lake Texoma continues to rise and with the lake level near 635 ft. above sea
level, just 5 feet shy of going over the spillway, there is water almost
everywhere on the refuge. Access to many areas has been shut off due to high
water. The only shorebirds seen were 1 Killdeer and 1 Spotted Sandpiper. One
bit of good news is that the Least Terns have returned. We saw 5 Least Terns
along with Black Terns and Forster's Terns feeding near headquarters. It will
be interesting to see what happens with the Least Terns because their floating
nesting platform is about the only thing above water. Two platforms have been
connected together to make a larger area for the terns. They have also added
some smaller rock to the top of the platform to serve as a location for their
nests. We are keeping our fingers crossed that they will find this to be a
desirable place to nest. We saw 3 Tricolored Herons feeding near headquarters.
The iron bridge at Dead Woman Pond is completely submerged. We did see a
Red-headed Woodpecker there. We finished the day with 65 species and migration
is coming to an end. The refuge office is closed to the public until the waters
recede enough to open the road to headquarters.

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/emailsubID=S23534908
Jack Chiles, Texas master naturalist and volunteer, Hagerman NWR.Edit your
Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at