[texbirds] Tuesday morning birding, Hagerman NWR.

  • From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 15:54:02 -0500

Today was very chilly for late April with a brisk breeze blowing, very cloudy
and mist or light rain falling most of the morning. The big story of the day is
that the Bobolinks have returned on their northward migration. They were in
the fields along Silliman Road along with a large mixed flock of Yellow-headed
Blackbirds and Red-winged Blackbirds. They are in the tall grass and clover.
They will fly up and move a ways then drop down again out of sight. We located
14 species of shorebirds including Willet, American Avocet, Western,
White-rumped, Pectoral, Least and Spotted Sandpipers, Lesser and Greater
Yellowlegs, Long-billed Dowitchers, Upland Sandpipers and Killdeer. Most of the
shorebirds were in the upper end of Silliman Marsh where there are some
mudflats.We saw a Tricolored Heron feeding along Wildlife Drive. Warbler
numbers were low as we have come to expect with only a few Nashvilles,
Prothonotary, and a Yellow Warbler. There were lots of Scissor-tailed
Flycatchers, Eastern Kingbirds and Western Kingbirds in the fields.
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/emailsubID=S23111964
Jack Chiles, Texas Master Naturalist and volunteer, Hagerman NWR.