[texbirds] Monitoring spring bird migration in the western Gulf of Mexico region using NEXRAD weather radar

  • From: "John Arvin" <jarvin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "New Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "TX-Ornithology" <TX-ORNITHOLOGY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "LABIRD-L" <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 13:07:07 -0500

All the feed-back I have gotten since yesterday's frontal passage is from
the upper Texas coast and confirms what was visibly going on yesterday -
that lots of trans-Gulf migrants were put down in coastal woodlots. Today
radars are clear of bird targets which is normal after strong frontal
passage even when birds are still coming in. I have no information about
the lower Texas coast nor any location in Louisiana but I expect things are
similar region-wide. Winds are forecast to shift back to the south tomorrow
afternoon, so the fallout may be short-lived. However, a second front is
forecast for Tuesday night (though apparently it will not be as strong) so
good conditions may prevail through the whole of next week.
John C. Arvin
Research Associate
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
103 West Hwy 332