[texbirds] Monitoring spring bird migration in the western Gulf of Mexico region using NEXRAD weather radar

  • From: "John Arvin" <jarvin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "New Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "LABIRD-L" <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 11:41:42 -0500

From reports from the field the fallout on the lower and middle Texas coast
was "phenomenal", a word not used to describe a spring migration in this
region for 30 years or so (last in late April 1981). The upper Texas coast
seemed to have missed a great deal of what the lower coast caught (due to
easterly winds?) but was catching up fast at last report. I haven't heard
enough from coastal Louisiana to draw conclusions.
The upper winds have switched back to the SE and S. Incoming trans-Gulf
migrants are visible on NEXRAD arriving at Brownsville and Corpus, but the
lingering showers and NE winds have moved on so I doubt that there will be
much of a presence of new migrants on the ground. No doubt, given the
condition that migrants over the past couple of days have been in at
stop-over sites a good many will hang around for a day or two so the
weekend may continue to be pretty good. There is also the threat (promise)
of stormy weather over the weekend which could add new migrants on the
ground.

John C. Arvin
Research Associate
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory