[TechAssist] Re: Windows 98 - CD drive causes Blue screen lock-up

  • From: Gary McCartney <gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 09:33:17 -0500

Try disconnecting the CD drive signal cable and then boot up the
computer. Shut down, reconnect the cable and boot up again. This should
automatically find new hardware and reinstall the cd drive.

By reinstalling Windows over top of your current installation, you will
not lose any data, whether on Drive C or on a separate drive or
partition.(for extra insurance, it is good to have the data backed up
though. Only if you format the drive C and start from scratch, will
everything on drice C partition be wiped out. Formatting C will not
affect data on D. Just don't make the mistake of running FDISK which
will wipe out all partition info and therefore everything would be lost.

Gary McCartney

McCartney Electronics
Guelph Ontario Canada
Est. 1984