[TechAssist] Re: Stairclimber feedback

  • From: "Hoyt's TV" <hoytstv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:09:51 -0400

I have one, David.

It is very heavy, almost like a fork lift. It works well for moving 32" to
36" TVs around my shop floor and lifting them up to the bench but the stair
climbing part leaves a lot to be desired unless you have another person to
help you. I have two steps from my storage area to the shop floor/door. It
goes up OK as long as I make sure the TV is well balanced on it. It has a
rather narrow wheel base compared to the width of a 36" TV, and when it's on
the climbing wheels that is even narrower. What I find happening is it likes
to tip sideways, and due to the weight of the machine itself plus the weight
of the TV, I can't stop it once it begins to go. If I have someone else on
the other end, we can usually save it. I would not feel at all comfortable
using it in front of a customer, in their house. Certainly not coming down a
flight of stairs.

Going down is tricky because you have to guesstimate where the climbing
wheels are going to contact the top of the step you are on, to try to catch
it near the edge to lower it down. Since they are on the inside of their
rotation, you can't see them. Like trying to guess where something is on the
underside of a conveyor belt. If you miss, you are headed for the bottom on
skis. If you are too far back it won't clear the step. There is nothing but
your feet and arms and muscle power to try to hold it while lining the
wheels up properly with the edge of the step, and it definitely outweighs
you.

I find myself lifting the TV to the height of my shop floor and sliding it
into the shop, then bringing the lift into the shop and putting the TV back
on it to take it to the bench.

Grossly overrated as far as I'm concerned but I haven't found anything else
that will do the job either.

Russ Hoyt
Hoyt's TV
Exeter, NH