[TechAssist] Re: Phillips Model 9P5544 C102 BigScreen TV

  • From: "Gemini Computer & TV" <geminitv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 07:03:44 -0500

Let me make this easy. The "front" or "outside" screen is called the
lenticular screen because the straight lines that run top to bottom on the
surface of the outside are lenticules (defined as any of the tiny
corrugations or grooves molded or embossed into the surface of a projection
screen ), hence the name lenticular. The "inside" is NOT a screen, it is a
lens, hence the name fresnel lens (which is a point focus aspheric lens
often used in lighthouse technology). The name fresnel is derived from the
creator whose name was Augustin Jean Fresnel. There is today's trivia
lesson.

Bob Waterman, CET® #RI-28
Master Technician License #9109
Service Manager