[TechAssist] Re: Magnavox and Nutdrivers -IT DOESN'T FIT!!

  • From: "C&W Electronics" <c_w_electronics@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 14:09:28 -0500

All of my nutdrivers are Xcelite and I have never had a problem on any
cabinet. Of course most of them are over 30+ years old. I have never had to
replace one. I have had to grind down the face, due to internal wear, but
they are as good as ever.
Paul W
C&W Electronics

From: "Damon" <DAMON101@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "TechAssist" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [TechAssist] Magnavox and Nutdrivers -IT DOESN'T FIT!!
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 08:58:10 -0500

Hello Everybody,

I recently found out that the new Phillips/Magnavox TVs have made their
recessed 1/4" screw holes so tight that none of my 1/4" nutdrivers will fit
into the holes. My boss even suggested removing my bit and trying to use
only the Versa-pak shank - way too large!

I had an Xcelite PS 120 kit that had a hollow shaft 1/4" nutdriver that was
the only nutdriver that would fit (CTC 169 has really tight screw holes on
the back video cover too). Well.....I lost that months ago.

Who out there has run into this situation, and who out there has one of the
1/4" hollow shaft nutdrivers that can verify if it fits the Magnavox units?

More info: The PS 120 kit consists of hollow shaft nutdrivers that are no
more than 3-4" long (mini nutdrivers). The Phillips/Magnavox Model is MS
3650, and the chassis is 36M800, which is a 36" TV with a very slim cabinet
wrapped around the crt. (No wonder they have stingy recessed holes, eh?)

If anyone can verify these nutdrivers work I'll pay for another kit, or if
you have a brand name tool or a source for a thin walled 1/4"
nutdriver....you may want to post your info as I believe we'll all be seeing
this design change on future sets.

Thanks for your info and time
Damon Brunger
damon101@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx