[TechAssist] CTC169

  • From: "Leonard G. Caillouet" <lcaillo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 10:09:41 -0500

I am wondering if you all have seen many leaky caps in these sets.  I just
did two this week that had leaky Nichicon 105 degree caps.  The electrolyte
caused enough corrosion to damage a couple of traces. These are the first I
have seen like this and am wondering if we can expect this to be as common
as in the Hitachi and Misubishi projection sets.  How far do you guys go in
looking for other caps going bad on these sets.  I have found that sometimes
the only way that you can find them is to heat the pins and see if they
smell or remove them and visually inspect them.  Many of the ones that are
starting to leak check OK on all four tests, capacitance, ESR, DA, & leakage
current.  Should we be checking all of them on these sets?

Leon.

Leonard G. Caillouet
Service Manager
Electronics World