[TechAssist] Re: Best way to clean a head.

  • From: Dennis Viereck <wa6ati@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 00:07:23 -0800

I did tests when HI-FI first came out. It really made no difference at all if
the tape was recorded in SP or EP for sound quality. Dynamic range was greater
than 80 db and un-weighted wow and flutter was under .008%. There was no
measurable difference between SP or EP. The HI-FI tape to head velocity is
still 5.8 meters per second.
The only measurable problem I've seen on these machines is tangential
switching noise from time to time. This is caused by a gap between the RF
envelopes between HI-FI head "A" & HIFI head "B". Usually on machines that are
worn.

Don't sell VHS HI-FI short. It is very close to CD quality.

Dennis