[TechAssist] Re: Best way to clean a head.

  • From: "OrpheusComputing.com Repair" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 13:05:31 -0600

Well, there's still the same amount of tape used, T-120 6 hr
tape is ~246m  :-)  FYI, actual tape speed is .4375 in/sec. @
EP, but the 'writing speed' is different because (like you
said) of the helical angle ratio of the tape VS the drum.
Something else that may be of interest to any 'newbies' out
there....the hi-fi audio quality is actually better in most
cases @ EP (slowest speed) because due to the rotation of the
head drum, it is the same direction of the tape path; so if
you slow that down to EP, the tape of course then is going
slower therefore the 'writing speed' is increased.  It is
usually not noticeable to ears since the audio specs are so
good to begin with, but it does show on paper.  Usually about
1khz lower on the high end, but since you are dealing with
around 19-21khz, that's not usually noticeable unless you are
below 20 yrs old, have great high frequency hearing, and are
recording something with content in that audio range.  (I
know Jeff knows all this but a few others may not).
-Clint

Happy Thanksgiving &
God Bless Us All
Clint Hamilton, Owner