[TCUG] Re: Use of fibre-optic, IP addressable UTC

  • From: "Morar Jag \(ST\)" <Jag.Morar@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 10:16:13 +0100

For the last decade I have been advocating re-assessment of what we do
on encountering communication break-up on IP based UTC communications.

The original SCOOT system based on the requirements of MCE0360 specified
maximum 15 reply message (MT) errors in an hour before any intervention
was required. During the trialling of the original London UTC system
back in 1981, we encountered frequent break-up in BT line comms. We
therefore applied a heuristic approach to actions that need to be taken
with different type of errors that we encounter and developed the rules
for UTC intervention. To date we still apply those rules in London.

With the advent of many new communications options and also the
increased levels of error checking in the Internet Protocols we need to
rethink and once again apply the heuristic approach to what we should do
when we encounter message errors in modern day wireless IP based UTC
communications.