[TCUG] Re: Use of fibre-optic, IP addressable UTC

  • From: "Morar Jag \(ST\)" <Jag.Morar@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 14:24:57 +0100

Alistair,

I would be very interested in understanding the architecture of the UTC
network based on Fibre Optic links. Is it point to point with Fibre
optic modems at each end or is it some form of fibre ring with tap-offs?

Also, what equipment does it utilise at the instation and outstation?
Does it use UTMC29 or the Type 2 (UG405) MIB?

Please note that we used the Siemens Gemini unit on TCAM which was based
on static IP addressing. We did this over conventional EPS25 leased
lines with real-time second by second control. However, we had to
develop a new Front End Processor (FEP/Router) for handling the UTC-
UDP/IP communications and also the TCP/IP background channel for Remote
Monitoring over the same communication link.

The project trials at 10 sites demonstrated UTC availability of around
99.9% but our UTC operations people could not tolerate the loss of a few
seconds of communications (out of 86400 seconds) due to line errors. We
also found that the occasional modem retrain resulted in around 40
seconds of lost data.=20

In the lab we demonstrated the operation of TCAM over fibre and over
Ethernet link.=20

If we had the luxury of using fibre then we would have solved the
problem of line errors.

Also, a few years ago we worked in partnership with IDT/Richard Gibson
to develop an IP adaptor for communication over GPRS to legacy OTUs.
However even here we encountered around 50 line errors per day.

Mandi Patel is current working with Virtual Access on proof of concept
project to demonstrate IP communication through VPN to the Siemens TC12
OTUs.=20