[TCUG] Re: Offset Pedestrian Facilities at a Controlled Junction - Zig-Zag markings or Not

  • From: Grahame Bath <grahame.bath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 11:48:12 +0000

We've the same problem in the middle of Walton on Thames.

No zig zags on an associated pedestrian facility which is out of sight
around
a small one way system, one junction on which is controlled by signals.

We have so many complaints from Police but to install zig zags would
inhibit
all trade at adajacent shops. Yes, we know that sometimes parked vehicles
obstruct visibility, but they would do that even if the zig zags were
there.

Deliveries have to be made and we have no accident problem at this
location.
So - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is our policy with this one.

It meets the regs - even if all do not agree.

Happy New Year all

Regards

Grahame

Grahame Bath
Senior Engineer
Network Management & Information
Surrey County Council
020 8541 7346 (Tel)   020 8541 7366 (Fax)

             "Tony Sharp"
             <Tony.Sharp@south
             glos.gov.uk>                                               To
             Sent by:                  <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             tcug-bounce@freel                                          cc
             ists.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [TCUG] Re: Offset Pedestrian
             04/01/08 11:20            Facilities at a Controlled Junction
                                       - Zig-Zag markings or Not

             Please respond to
             tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Peter,

'if' you do decide to put in Zig-Zag's then you obviously need to
advertise this facility as a separate 'Puffin' crossing=20
as I understand it 'regs' don't allow zig-zags at anything other than a
Puffin/Pelican/Toucan

Anthony Sharp=20
Engineer (Traffic Signals)=20
Highways

South Gloucestershire Council=20
Broad lane, Yate BS37 7PN=20

Tel:    (01454) 86 3605=20
Fax:   (01454) 86 3757=20

Find out more about the work of the Highways Section at:
www.southglos.gov.uk/highways

=20

=20=20