[TCUG] Re: LED Heads

  • From: "Peter Jones" <peter.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:33:56 +0100

Andy,

I witnessed this for the first time last night at the south end of the
Knowsley expressway.  If anyone from KBC is listening, I'm sure they
will confirm that red amber and green are all LEDs at this junction. I
deliberately looked for, and saw, the red amber and green on together
for about 1/4 of a second - after reading the current discussion emails
- and I don't believe that this was caused by 'persistence of vision'
but an actual overlap.

If that is the case, is there a problem?  I suppose if Michael
Schumacher were approaching at 200mph in his Ferrari, the kind of split
second decision he has to make may just be significant but then, what
would he assume for that 1/4 second?  Hesitation would creep in until
the red and amber extinguished and he would then continue through the
green.

For the rest of us mere mortals, I don't believe that this could make a
blind bit of difference, except in court.  Here, Mr. Smarmy
Clever-Cloggs QC, could possibly introduce some doubt with a jury.  Is
it possible that an average driver would even notice?  They seem not to
notice a 3 second amber these days.  The point is, in this case, the
signals are changing to green anyway and green only means go if...

I hope this does not sound too sarcastic or patronising.  As always, my
huge irritation is with barristers and solicitors, to whom, any
ambiguity - however irrelevant - is an excuse to remove some measure of
responsibility from road users but I really can't see this as being such
a problem.

I'm still very keen to try these signals - only from a supplier of
reliable equipment of course.

Regards

Peter

Peter Jones
Project Leader - Traffic Control Systems
Phone: +44 (0) 151 934 4254
Fax:     +44 (0) 151 922 4514
Mobile: 07788 100 584
Peter.Jones (AT) technical.sefton.gov.uk
Sefton MBC - UTC
7th Floor
Balliol House
Balliol Road