[TCUG] Closely Associated Secondary Signals

  • From: "Andrew Ashton" <andrew.ashton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 10:36:11 +0100

Hi All,

I've been asked by our senior management to gauge how many authorities use =
'closely associated secondary signals', as follows:

1. as standard on all sites;
2. only when circumstances dictate (i.e.. right turn accident issues, impra=
cticable to use far-sided secondaries);

Traffic Advisory Leaflet 1/06 - General Principles of Traffic Control by li=
ght Signals Part 1 of 4 states:

"Signal heads beyond the junction are known as secondary signals. The displ=
ays must have the same information as the primary and may have additional i=
nformation, which must not conflict with that shown on the primary. In cert=
ain circumstances it may be undesirable, or impracticable, to position the =
secondary beyond the junction. On these occasions the secondary may be on t=
he entry side of the junction, beyond the stopline and primary positions an=
d preferably on the offside. This is known as a closely associated secondar=
y."

I assume from the above paragraph new designs shall always incorporate far-=
sided secondaries with CASS only being used in certain circumstances.

I would appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Regards,=20

Andy Ashton=20
Blackpool Council =20

Email Disclaimer is:=20
http://www.blackpool.gov.uk/EmailDisclaimer/
This message has been scanned by F-Secure Anti-Virus for Microsoft Exchange=
 as part of the Council's e-mail and internet policy.