[TCUG] Re: Advanced stoplines for cyclists ASL's

  • From: "Harrison David" <david.harrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 25 Jun 2004 11:44:00 -0000

Rob
We went through this in some detail 19/09/03, and I copy/paste at the foot =
of
this current sheet the exchange at the time. As far as I am aware, the appr=
oach
length as Andrew says is still largely determined as set out in TAL 8/93. W=
here
there are any doubts, I demand Linsig data on queue lengths when carrying o=
ut
Safety Audit on ASLs.

The Newcastle Cycle Forum accepts that sometimes we "omit" for good reason =
an
ASL and its approach where safety is "reasonably" considered to in conflict
with dogma.

There is also some good general reading in the new Chapter 5 of the Traffic
Signs Manual in sections 16.1 to 16.25. Section 16.13 also refers to current
on-line debate on that issue

Thanks
David Harrison
Newcastle City Council

Andrew Boyle  (25/06/2004  09:37):
>Rob,
>
>If you delve into your old Traffic Advisory Leaflets, number 8/93 included=
>statement;
>
>"The length of cycle lane on the approach will vary according to the
>particular cicumstances of individual sites but should generally be as long
>as the longest queue of traffic when the signal is red."
>
>Maybe this is the article you are trying to remember?
>
>Regards
>A R Boyle
>Traffic Signals Unit
>Somerset.

Copy/paste by DH of 19/09/03 contribution:-

Bruce
I was simply advocating some caution. I placed my first ASL some 30 years a=
go
at Barrack Road A189/ Hunters Road as a then experimental idea, as a safety
scheme with old 75% grant system and we achieved a very good reduction in t=
he
number and severity of cycle accidents. At the time, the concern was the
"sqeeze" on the approaches, and we simply sacrificed a bit of capacity by
reducing the number of approach lanes to get a good lead-in to avoid migrat=
ing
the accidents upstream of the then problem area. As you advocate, where it =
is
all a bit tight, we get in a shorter approach to comply with the 2002 TSR&G=
D.
That change in the detail perhaps reflects the potential difficulties.

We now have many ASL's. Vunerable users are very important and in Newcastle=
 on
the key indicator of Child KSI, we have already achieved a 49% reduction
towards the 2010 target of 50%.ASL's are a good idea, but we need to be jus=
t a
little careful in using them as a universal panacea at every site.

Like you, we use colour contrast, and we have just completed a review of PS=
V.
Some of our earlier schemes had used a differential value, and a car under
heavy braking on the approach section with two wheels on the then higher PSV
(with "tight" lane widths) could skid unpredictably to the left and endange=
r a
cyclist about to be overtaken.

In the end it is a balance of helping the minority vunerable users in every=
 way
we can, but checking that the accident reduction targets are reviewed,
particularly at the more difficult sites. I endorse the issue you raised on
pedestrians particularly from the point of view of intervisiblity.

Thanks
DH

Bruce Slattery (19/09/2003 16:43):
> [...]
>that cyclists are there and allow the cyclist to get in front of the cars =
=3D
>thus to command a better position when setting off through the junction.
>
>When you review the accident history and assess the numbers of cyclists =3D
>being injured (many severely) surely it is part of our job (and duty of =3D
>care) to do the best for these particularly vulnerable users of our =3D
>highway.
>
>As a major City we have a policy of putting ASL's in unless it is not =3D
>reasonably practicable, this tends to mean not on the circulatory arms of =
=3D
>signalled roundabouts and at isolated pedestrian crossings. All other =3D
>approaches can generally have ASL's fitted in some form or other if you =3D
>try hard enough. We have been doing this for several years now and have =3D
>not seen a noticeable increase in accidents due to these facilities.
>
>Another development is that we have a lot of support for ASL's from =3D
>pedestrians as it makes the vehicle stopline further from the crossing =3D
>point thus improving the pedestrian environment. we also now routinely =3D
>colour the ASL's red as this helps enforcement.
>
>We also can usually get some sort of approach lane in even if somewhat =3D
>short which seems to be accepted by cyclists and again does not cause a =3D
>safety problem.
>
>I would be interested to know if any other authorities have actually =3D
>caused an accident problem in these cases as this might support (or =3D
>otherwise) the safety audit recommendations and provide hard not anecdotal=
 =3D
>evidence for the safety case.
>
>Bruce Slattery
>Manager Traffic Signals and UTC      =3D20

>Sorry to come back, but the terms "sporting" and "chance" hardly seem to =
=3D
>be
>consistent with the science under which we all operate?
>
>David Harrison
>
>Parrett, Simon  (19/09/2003  15:55):
>>I guess its a valid approach Graham, but it somewhat ducks the issue,
>>cyclists are still having to try and negotiate these junctions with or
>>without facilities. I do not think that ASL's encourage cyclists to use =
=3D
>the
>>pavement or cycle down the outside of traffic - (they do these anyway!).
>>There are lots of occasions where the carriageway width is not sufficient=
 =3D
>=3D3D
>>provide a proper cycle lane but cyclists can still make their scratchy =3D
>way
>>safely up the inside and into an ASL. I also have no problem with =3D
>multiple
>>lane / separately signalled approaches - again cyclists are using these
>>junctions with or without ASLs, at least with an ASL they have a sporting

the system manager.
All incoming and outgoing e-mails are monitored for the presence of=20
profanity and racist remarks, pornographic, sexually explicit or obscene ma=
terial, and unsolicited content or spam.
www.mimesweeper.com
City of Newcastle website:-  http://www.newcastle.gov.uk
Tyne Offshore Suppliers:- http://www.offshore-suppliers.com
Newcastle Schools website:- http://www.newcastle-schools.org.uk