[TCUG] Re: Advanced stoplines for cyclists ASL's

  • From: "Bruce Slattery" <bruce_slattery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Kevan.Fleckney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:15:59 +0100

I would agree about the size of ASL's and in Bristol we have standardised =
on 5m ASL's as these provide adequate space for cyclists - (note the =
plural) who enjoy these facilities throughout the city.

We also provide feeder lanes wherever possible but have now got several =
when a 300 mm lane is all that was practicable, this is of course preceded =
by the normal entry marks to a cycle lane.

 I believe these have been used elsewhere and I can only report a positive =
reaction both from cyclists and signal engineers as we have neither lost =
capacity nor increased accidents after adopting this as a local =
standard.=20

Regards=20

Bruce Slattery
Traffic Signals Manager

>>> Kevan.Fleckney@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 06/25/04 01:40pm >>>
Sharon

If it is just a pedestrian crossing, I have seen the cycle lane stop (no
"end" in lane) at the start of the zig-zags, then the green surfacing
continues through the zig-zags to the stop line (or give way line for a
zebra). The reverse procedure is adopted on the exit side of the crossing.
Works well.

if the cyclist cannot turn right at a junction, only ahead/left, why not =
use
a staggered stop line, where the cycle lane continues a metre beyond the
traffic stop line (so the traffic stop line would be 3m from the studs). =
If
it's an ahead only junction, you could just take the cycle lane to the
stopline. There's two like that here, they work well.

Whilst on the subject of ASLs, many are only 3m or so deep, which is
insufficient room for a cyclist to weave in front of the traffic if he/she
wishes to turn right (although most ride in the traffic lane to gain =
access
to the ASL in these conditions - me included). Cyclists in small ASLs feel
intimidated by the traffic directly behind as well.

Kevan Fleckney

It